According to reports, two pretty students of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) have lost their life in a midnight fire at a Lagos hotel.
Roli Odogwu, a 200-Level Mass Communication student, and Linda Elegeonye, a 300-Level Law student, died of burns, days after they were trapped in the hotel room where they were logded.
Until their demise, the two students were residents of Fagunwa Hall, Unilag.
CAMPUSLIFE reported that the girls left the campus on Monday to attend an evening event which took place off-campus. When they realised that they could not return to the school late in the night, they reportedly lodged in the hotel to spend the night.
Late Roli’s friend, who pleaded anonymity said she called to her mother to inform her of her decision to pass the night in the hotel.
Reports said that the victims were asleep when the inferno started from a faulty air conditioner. CAMPUSLIFE gathered that the victims were trapped for several minutes before they were able to be rescued from the room. They sustained first-degree burns. The victims were rushed to Gbagada General Hospital.
Roli died at 4am last saturday and was buried at Atan Cemetery in Yaba. On Sunday, it was reported that Linda, who had been in coma for six days, had also died.
A friend, who pleaded anonymity, said she was informed about the incident by a policeman who picked the late Roli’s call on Tuesday.
She said: “The policeman told me that the owner of the phone (Roli) and her friend were involved in a fire accident and they were unconscious. I was told they had been moved to Trauma and Burns Unit of the Gbagada General Hospital. I informed other friends and we went to the hospital. When we got there, we were not allowed to see them immediately. Three hours after, we were allowed in with their parents and other family members.
“Roli was conscious and responding to treatment, but Linda was still in a coma. The burns were severe and we hoped both could make it. We are deeply hurt by their death.”